Rishikesh, a small town situated on the banks of the holy river Ganges, is a spiritual paradise for people seeking peace and solace. Known as the “Yoga Capital of the World,” Rishikesh is a perfect destination for those who want to relax, rejuvenate and explore the cultural heritage of India. Here are some of the top things to do in Rishikesh:
- Visit the Triveni Ghat: The Triveni Ghat is a confluence of three holy rivers – Ganga, Yamuna, and Saraswati. It is believed that taking a dip in this ghat cleanses one’s soul and helps attain moksha (liberation).
- Explore the Ashrams: Rishikesh is famous for its ashrams, which offer a peaceful and serene environment for meditation and yoga. Some of the popular ashrams include Parmarth Niketan, Sivananda Ashram, and Omkarananda Ganga Sadan.
- Experience the Ganga Aarti: The Ganga Aarti is a beautiful and spiritual ceremony that takes place every evening at the Parmarth Niketan Ashram. It involves chanting of Vedic hymns, lighting lamps, and offering prayers to the holy river Ganges. It is a sight not to be missed.
- Take a dip in the Ganges: The holy river Ganges is believed to have the power to wash away sins and purify one’s soul. Taking a dip in the Ganges is considered a sacred ritual by Hindus. There are several ghats in Rishikesh where you can take a dip, including the popular Laxman Jhula and Ram Jhula.
- Explore the Beatles Ashram: The Beatles Ashram, also known as Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Ashram, is a popular tourist spot in Rishikesh. The ashram gained popularity in the 1960s when the Beatles visited it to learn Transcendental Meditation. Today, the ashram is abandoned, but you can still see the graffiti and murals painted by the Beatles and their fans.
Rishikesh is a year-round destination, but the best time to visit is from September to November and from March to April. The weather during these months is pleasant, and you can enjoy all the outdoor activities without any inconvenience.
In conclusion, Rishikesh is a hidden gem in the Himalayas, offering a unique blend of spirituality, adventure, and culture. Whether you are looking for peace and relaxation or want to experience the thrill of adventure sports, Rishikesh has something to offer for everyone.